The 4 Toxins Lurking in Your Kitchen
The kitchen should be the cleanest place in the house, considering you are making your food there and you probably spend a lot of time in the kitchen in general. We are trying to sanitize everything, but we sometimes don’t realize that the cleaning products can be as harmful as the dirt. Here are the toxins lurking in your kitchen that you should be careful about.
Triclosan is a toxin found usually in liquid dishwashing detergents and antibacterial soaps. According to the American Medical Association, they don’t contribute to our health or safety, but increase the resistance of bacteria to these antibacterial chemicals and our resistance to antibiotics and some medications that we occasionally really need. The EPA also suspects that this chemical disrupts endocrine function and that it may increase the risk for cancer.
To avoid this chemical, choose soaps and detergents that don’t have lots of ingredients listed- the less the better.
Bisphenol A, or BPA is a chemical found in many products we use on a daily basis. It is a dangerous substance that has similar properties as some hormones, so they mimic them and can cause various health issues, the most serious being cancer, heart disease and sterility in men.
The Environmental Working Group found that this chemical is also a common ingredient in most of the canned foods you can buy in the supermarket and store in your kitchen cabinet. The group found that more than 75 producers of canned food still use this chemical in the lining of their cans. Since the hazards of BPA have been discovered, many producers have now stopped using it and started finding healthier alternatives. Be aware of the food you’re buying, as they may be poisoning you and your family.
Chlorine is found in many cleaning chemicals, but there is a significant amount of it in the household tap water. This is probably why it is best to buy bottled water for drinking and using your tap water for dishwashing, showering and other technical things.
Donna Kasuska, chemical engineer and president of ChemConscious, Inc. says that we are exposed to chlorine when cleaning with it, as it releases its fumes, but it also enters our skin when we shower or take a bath because it is in the tap water. Kasuka explains that the health risks can be acute or chronic, irritate the respiratory system or disrupt the function of the thyroid gland. This isn’t something to joke about or take lightly.
Luckily, you can at least reduce your exposure, if not eliminate it completely. You can use more natural things for cleaning, such as baking soda. You can clean toilet bowls with vinegar, and you can take in less chlorine through water by installing filters on your kitchen sink and shower.
The material most of our non-stick pans are made actually carries health risks along with it. It is convenient and easy to clean, but it contains perfluorochemicals also known as PFCs which have been associated with health issues such as liver dysfunction and problems with fertility and physical and mental development. Pans that you just purchased are not harmful, but as soon as there is one scratch, you better throw it away as it can seriously damage your health.