Food & Diet
Weak Immune System: Smoothies to the Rescue!
Cold and flu season is coming and the best way to avoid getting sick is to boost your immune system and enable it to recognize bacteria and viruses and defend your body from them. When we’re not taking in enough vitamins and minerals, and when we work too much and sleep too little, our immune systems become weakened. But lucky for us, we can make it more powerful by eating healthy foods in proper amounts.
When your body is infected with bacteria or viruses, your immune system has several ways to defend it and prevent you from getting sick. A healthy immune system can destroy microbes before they’ve had the chance to multiply and spread throughout your body. When the immune system is weak, it can’t properly defend you, which results in you getting sick more often than you would if your immunity was strong. In order to keep our immune systems strong, we need to take in plenty of vitamins and other nutrients, which can sometimes be difficult considering that we’re living very busy lives and we sometimes simply cannot watch what we eat as much as we’d want to. However, there is a way to eat more essential nutrients and spend very little time in their consumption – through smoothies. Smoothies make it possible for us to take in a concentration of nutrients without having to take in too many calories. If we combine foods in the right way, the smoothies we make can be amazingly healthy and they can help you boost your metabolism and build up your defenses against foreign invaders.
The most important nutrients you should be taking in through foods (read: smoothies – as they help you get the most out of foods) include vitamins A, C, B2, B6, D, and E, as well as minerals such as selenium and zinc, but also magnesium, calcium, iron, etc. Drinking the same kind of smoothie every day won’t really help you take in all these vitamins and minerals, so what you should do is make different smoothies and mix things up a little. That way you’ll also be able to keep things fresh and not get tired of such a way of eating.
Of course, you shouldn’t just stop eating everything else and switch to only eating smoothies. Smoothies should be an addition to an otherwise healthy and balanced diet. If you do so, you will quickly see and improvement in your energy levels and overall wellbeing, and you’ll surely notice that you’re less likely to get sick even during the cold season.
If you’re wondering which foods to make smoothies with, aim for those that are high in the mentioned vitamins and minerals. For instance, in order to get enough vitamin A during the day you could include a carrot (which also contains powerful antioxidants) or pumpkin into your smoothie. Vitamin A is very important in order for the cells in your body to be able to communicate. This communication allows you immune system to distinguish healthy cells from invaders, and get rid of what could harm you. When using carrots or pumpkin in your smoothies, make sure you use plain ones and don’t add sugar. You could blend the carrots fresh, while when it comes to pumpkins, you could cook or bake them in the oven before blending.
1. For vitamin C, go for kiwi, lemon, oranges, green vegetables, and in fact almost any fruits. To get in strong antioxidants that will increase your body’s protection against diseases, put berries into your smoothies. When it comes to healthy fats, nuts are your best choice. In order to get in enough potassium, choose bananas and kiwi. There are so many amazingly tasty smoothies you can make – all it takes is some imagination and the awareness of which foods contain the best levels of the vitamins or minerals you want to take in. Also, don’t be afraid to spice things up – numerous spices contain health-protective properties that will significantly contribute to the strength of your immune system.
2. Probiotics are also very important in order to maintain a healthy immune system, and you can take them in the form of yogurt that contains live and active cultures. You could shortly blend some yogurt and raspberries and add some other berries into the mix if you like. That way, you’ll supply your body with plenty antioxidants, as well as probiotics that will keep your immune system running smoothly.
Here are some ideas for healthy, immunity-boosting smoothies.
3. Green tea, bluberry and banana smoothie consists of 1 cup of frozen blueberries, 1 banana, a teaspoon of flaxseed and one green tea bag left to infuse in 3 tablespoons of water for around 15 minutes (you’ll only put the water into the blender). Mix everything in a blender and add some water if the mixture is too thick. This smoothie provides great amounts of potassium, calcium, antioxidants, and vitamins.
4. Carrot, Granny Smith apple and orange smoothie is a simple blend of these three ingredients. Use half of one carrot, half of one apple and one whole orange for one portion of this smoothie, and add some water into the blender. Mix until it reaches smooth consistency. You can put it into the freezer for around 10 minutes if you’d like it to be colder. This smoothie provides you with excellent amounts of vitamins A and C, decent amounts of calcium, magnesium, vitamin B6 and iron as well as good levels of dietary fiber to maintain your digestive health and the health of your immune system. If you want to spice things up, you can add a little ginger or cinnamon on the top.
5. Banana, ginger and spinach smoothie is a spicy, green and creamy immunity-boosting smoothie that can help your body detoxify, improve digestion and provide several other health benefits. To make this smoothie, you will need one cup of spinach, 3 bananas, 1 small piece of fresh ginger (pealed), 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon of ground cardamom. If you like coconut milk, you could add that to the mixture as well. First, you should blend spinach and 2 cups of water (or coconut milk) until smooth, and then add the rest of ingredients and blend again. This smoothie provides great amounts of potassium, protein, dietary fiber, vitamins A, C, and B6, as well as minerals such as magnesium and iron. The ginger and cinnamon in this smoothie will give you a great dose of powerful antioxidants that will boost your immune system and keep you healthy.
There are numerous combinations you can make with healthy foods. Use your imagination and boost your immune system.